If you have a passion for pizza and hospitality, Patxi’s is the perfect place for you. We strive to be way more than “a pizza place.” Patxi’s creates the best experience possible for our guests, and the only way we can do that is to hire amazing people. We’re big fans of the book “Setting the Table” (think about reading it if you’re applying to work here), and we follow a lot of its advice on how to build a successful restaurant. One of the book’s mantras that we follow is hiring “51%-ers” – those people who are made up of 51% emotional intelligence and personality and 49% technical ability. In other words, they have the skills to get the job done, but even more than that, they have the character to get it done well. We can train for skills, but we can’t train for personality.
If you’re a 51%-er and make it on to the team, you’ll probably find that it’s one of the most fun and rewarding jobs you’ve ever had.
Sounds appetizing, right? Well, before you apply, take a moment to learn more about our company’s goals, as well as some advice to think about before submitting your application. We don’t want to waste your time or ours, so please only apply if you genuinely think you’d be a good fit and want to be part of our mission.
Patxi’s company goals
1. Earn a reputation as the best employer in the area
We hire the most qualified people we can find, and we’ll support their development both within and outside the organization. We’ll talk to them, listen to them, learn from them, pay them well, and demand a lot from each of them. We strive for a high retention rate (over 80%). We have a waiting list of people who want to join the company, and we believe that only happy and professional staff can give the level of personal service we demand. We see an investment in people to be a worthy investment in the future of the company.
2. Have the most successful operations in the market
Our operations will be exciting, diverse, and profitable. We’ll consistently deliver on our service guarantee of “a great time every time” and foster high professional standards. We’ll provide legendary service – the unique and powerful sort of personal care and attention that our guests tell stories about. We’ll win the various local polls that are a measure of our position and regard in the market. We’ll consistently achieve the highest volumes in our market and have a waiting line when our competitors are half full. We’ll develop a loyal repeat trade and find out what our guests want to be sure they’re getting it. We’ll maintain rigid cleanliness standards and take the lead in addressing the nutritional concerns of our guests. We’ll continuously re-examine our operations to stay fresh and responsive to our market while being stimulating to our staff.
3. Be a good citizen of the community and the planet
We’ll support worthy local charities with money, resources, and volunteers, as well as maintain a high visibility in local activities. We’ll be environmentally responsible by recycling, conserving water and utilities, and reducing our use of chemicals. Whenever possible, we’ll select supplies and suppliers that are environmentally friendly too.
4. Be a model for open, participatory business
Our industry can’t get where it needs to go doing business the way we’ve always done it. The market needs a new model, and we’re willing to be it. We’ll maintain open books with our staff and investors and innovate in the areas of compensation, profit-sharing, rewards, and recognition. We’ll involve our staff in all areas of policy-making and always move in the direction of less structure, greater professionalism, and more fun! Plus, we’ll be judged on our results.
5. Maintain a personal working relationship with our staff
We believe the way to achieve the kind of business environment we want is to create a trusting relationship with our staff. In this atmosphere, both staff and the company can work out difficulties and make decisions together.
6. Have a good time
We recognize that people go out to eat because they’re looking for a good time, not just a good meal. We’ll build fun and lightness into our company in the interest of our collective mental health and peace of mind.
Advice for applicants
We’re not just another foodservice company, and we’re not looking for just another job applicant. Take a look at what you can expect and how to proceed from here:
1. Take the time to fill out this application completely. Foodservice is a business of details, and we only consider people who share our concern about the importance of handling all the small points.
2. We’ll verify all information you give us on the application. Any false or misleading statements will disqualify you from consideration, no matter how talented you may be. Please understand that we aren’t as concerned with what you tell us as we are that you give us the truth. Honesty is always the best policy—especially if you hope to become part of our team.
3. We’re committed to maintaining a drug-free workplace. This means that we don’t tolerate the possession of drugs or alcohol on the premises or permit our staff to work under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
4. All our restaurants are completely non-smoking establishments. This means there are no cigarette breaks, and we don’t permit staff to smoke while on duty or in uniform.
5. If we give you a job offer, we may require you to pass a physical examination. The company will pay for all expenses of this examination, although we don’t pay for the time required to take it.
6. We’ll verify all your references. In addition to your supervisors, we want to talk with your co-workers and anyone who may have worked for you in your past positions. If we can’t check your references, we can’t consider you for employment, so be sure you list valid names and phone numbers. It doesn’t matter if they still work for your old company or not. In fact, we often get better information from people who have taken other jobs. Please be sure that everyone you list knows to expect a call from us and has your permission to talk with us. It will require some work on your part, but it takes a little extra effort to succeed in this business!
7. Be sure to include the correct phone number for the registrar’s office of your college or university and the records department of your school district so we can verify your education. This may involve a long distance call or two to get the numbers, but we won’t consider applications that don’t have this information.
8. On the application, we give you the opportunity to tell us why you feel you would be a good choice. Give it some thought, and present a case for yourself. After all, if you don’t believe in you, why should we?
9. Read the final statement on the application carefully before you submit it.
10. Be aware that what you do and how you do it are being evaluated throughout the selection process, so dress the part, be on time, and show us your best. Remember the saying about first impressions!
11. Based on our observations, your test results, and a review of your application, we’ll notify you within five working days (weekdays) from the date of your initial application about the status of your application, either by phone or by email. If by some chance the five days pass without your hearing from us, call the restaurant and ask to speak to a manager.
12. We take staff selection very seriously. If you’re a final candidate, you can expect up to three interviews and several written tests. We may ask you to demonstrate your skills and tell us how you would handle some sticky situations. We won’t take a “warm body” just to fill a vacancy quickly, so please be patient. We go through this trouble because our goals and standards are very high. If you’re good enough to become part of our staff, you’re truly an outstanding individual. With rare exceptions, if you need a job today, you should not count on us to provide it. If you need a job right away, you should find something else while we process your application.
13. Because our staff is actively involved in the operation of our company, don’t be surprised to have portions of the selection process conducted by people other than our managers. We give our staff a voice in the selection of their coaches and believe that co-workers are excellent judges of the talents of their peers.
14. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we select only qualified applicants for every position. We won’t discourage you from applying for any position you feel qualified for. We’ll make selections based on what strengths you bring to our team and how you fit into our operating style. We’re looking for people committed to professional excellence and legendary guest service who will make a positive contribution to our company for as long as we choose to work together.
15. We often bring new people into our company as part-time staff, moving them to full time (if they want it) or changing their duties when the opportunity for more hours arises, their work performance justifies additional responsibility, and the opportunity exists.
16. We expect you to take an active role in your own success and the success of your co-workers. To that end, it will be part of your job responsibilities to help train your co-workers for positions of higher skill and responsibility. Because of this focus, we’ll evaluate your performance based not only on your own professional development, but also by the advancement of your trainees.
17. We’ll regularly evaluate your performance so you know where you stand and how you’re doing. The purpose of these appraisals is to assist with your personal and professional development. Much of the responsibility for performance appraisal rests with your coaches, but we’ll also ask your co-workers to give us their impressions of your work and ask you to do the same of theirs. Their comments will be part of your performance appraisal. We’ll also ask you to evaluate the effectiveness of your coaches, and that will become part of their performance appraisal. We don’t keep secrets from each other or ignore unproductive behavior.
18. Our success comes from delighting our guests and earning their regular patronage. Everything in our company is focused on achieving this goal. We don’t believe in creating any more rules or structure than is necessary to ensure that our guests have a great time every time they dine with us. This means that there are no procedures to hide behind, and success is measured by your results rather than by your activities. There is nothing to “get away with.”
19. We value professional curiosity – that “itch” to continually expand knowledge, skill, and effectiveness. This means that we’re more interested in what you can learn than in what you know. People skills are essential. If we bring you on board, we promise to give you all possible assistance to help assure your success on the job. This represents a significant commitment of resources on the part of the company, and we look for an equal level of commitment from the people we ask to join us.
20. If you aren’t offered a position, we encourage you to apply again later if you’re still interested in working with us. Many of our most successful staff members were not selected until their second or third try. You must decide if what we offer is worth your effort to meet our high standards. Whatever your choice, we hope you will visit us often as a guest and let us know how we’re doing.
If this sounds like a place you’d like to be a part of and you think you have what it takes, fill out the application on the next page. Good luck, and we look forward to meeting you!